Friday, June 11, 2010

A Tale of Two Strollers

Before:


I could have entitled this little blurb "Woman vs. the machine" or "The Brave Little Sewing Machine that Could", but since the real meat of the story involves Madalyn's baby strollers, I'll stick with what I've got.

My adventure started a few days ago when Madalyn brought me these two broken and sad looking strollers and asked me if I could fix them-- again. I said to myself, "yes, you bet, it is about time I get the ole sewing machine out again." Then I realized that my neighbor still had the machine after borrowing it nearly a year ago. And just like I had snapped my fingers, the doorbell rang and it was my neighbor bringing back the machine, and a few treats to go with it. Problem solved. Well, I decided to do one better than mending this time, I was going to create two matching strollers with cute fabric from Material Girl (which is really just too cute!). Madalyn came with me to pick the fabric... she won on the choice, I wanted cherries (which I still think was the better pick:) )and she wanted tulips or polka dots.
The next stop was preparing the sewing machine. I did my best and realized that the bobbin wasn't quite functioning properly. I went to Floyds (a sewing machine store) for some help. They looked up the correct size and we determined that someone switched my bobbins-- that detective work wasn't too hard. Then, I thought everything was in place. I had cut the fabric and made some adjustments to the stroller details and I hit another roadbump. Something else was wrong with my machine. Well, about 5 hours later, a pretty thorough reading of my sewing machine manual, some experimenting with stitches, width, tension, threading a few bobbins, threading the machine and pulling a few hairs out, I FINALLY figured out my machine and had it running smoothly. There may have also been a few bad words used, but I got the job done and even fixed a purse. Yes, I can sew! Perhaps my skill level is still on par with the 7th grade home ec students, but what do I care! I received a few "way to go mom" cheers-- at my request, and a big smile and hug from Madalyn, so I am a happy mom! And I'm very motivated to use this cool sewing machine more!! Beware!!

After: TaDa!








3 comments:

Eric and Justine said...

They look great Mindy! good work!

Joy & Casey said...

WOW~You are my hero! If a button even falls off of something at this house the kids ask if we can call grandma...they know I am a loser! (I can sew on a button!)

Jenny said...

Wow, way to go is all I can say. I need to start learning more and using my machine more. I think Kris gets more out of it sometimes than I do. Oh well, it's a family machine right? Good work, seriously. I probably would have wanted to just buy a new stroller.