Tuesday, June 30, 2009

thoughts about a book

I've been reading a book called The Book Thief. It takes place in Nazi Germany and it is about a girl, foster parents, a jew and the narrator is death. It is a fascinating read-- written very differently. Anyway, I'm about done with it and the last couple of days I have been thinking about a few things... why are people so cruel? Why are we so lazy? Why do we try to blame everyone else for things that happen in our lives? When are we going to realize that life is just too short? I guess after spending time reading and pondering about this book (which is a work of fiction-- not a true story-- but compelling none the less) I just can't believe that people in Germany in the 1930's and 1940's really existed and lived through that whole Nazi era. What a strange time. Even living in Germany and Austria hasn't totally helped me understand those times of fear, self-preservation, disregard, hate etc. But, one thing I have learned is that there is strength in numbers. Especially when there is a good cause-- I am actually trying to make a point even though it is taking a while-- I think that generally people want to do the right thing and given the choice, we will. Sometimes we make mistakes, but when there is a real choice we want to help, we want to see people smile and we will put our best efforts forth to do it. Sometimes I forget how important it is to be given a choice and a chance to prove ourselves-- sometimes I forget to give my children a choice...hmmm maybe tomorrow.

3 comments:

Jamie Eskelson said...

I absolutly LOVED reading The Book Theif. It's by far the best book I've read all year. It does indeed provoke a lot of thought. Like you, I think most people are generally wishing the best for others, and want to do the right thing. Adam and I watched a great show the other night about an assasination attempt made on Hitler. Really fascinating. It's called Valkurie. Here again I was struck with the fact that the assasinators were also Natzi's, but could see the downfall of Hitlers ways and showed so much courage in trying to stop him. Really fascinating. Drop me a note when you finish, I'd love to chat with you about what you thought of the end of The Book Theif. Do you know about "Goodreads" and are you a member?

Audrey said...

That book is wonderful. I loved the narrator voice and the foreshadowing which heightens your anticipation.
I agree, it's hard for me to understand the cruelty too. However, I also think that if I knew that just going along with the crowd would save my own family from persecution, it would be hard to not just follow what everyone else was doing. I think that peer pressure for good or bad has a lot of influence.
Another great read is These is My Words by Nancy Turner. You should read it next!

Tyler Stillman said...

Man. I need to start reading again. That's at the top of my list.